Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Be appreciative, be humble. Turn back the boats…or should we?

Before I start, I just wanted to quickly define the terms asylum seeker and refugee. Prior to writing this post, I wasn't entirely sure what the difference between the two was - hopefully this helps you if you have the same problem. Asylum seeker - someone seeking international protection but whose claim for refugee status has not yet been determined. Refugee - someone who has been recognised under the 1951 Convention relating to the status of refugees as a refugee - "owing to well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it...". Source

Something that has been tossed around on the news a lot lately is about asylum seekers, and whether they should be allowed to arrive and/ or settle in Australia. I am honestly astounded that in a country as fortunate as ours, that I am proud to be part of, so many people are against this. Yes, I understand that not everyone who comes to Australia on a boat is a legitimate asylum seeker. I understand that there have been people in the past who have connections to terrorist organisations. But when you tell me we should not let LEGITIMATE refugees into Australia after they have arrived on a boat, I want you to answer a few questions for me.

What did you do to allow you to be born in a country as fortunate and prosperous as ours? How come you're allowed to receive government benefits if necessary, be able to walk outside without a fear of being shot, and have access to government funded education? How come you can choose what religion to practise, or not to practice religion at all? How come you weren't born in a country that you need to escape from? What makes you so special?

Once again, yes, I know that not everyone arriving on a boat is a legitimate asylum seeker. I also know that there are other ways of looking for a safe country to live in. I also understand that by allowing people to settle into our country this way, we are encouraging more people to risk their lives in travelling to Australia. However, although Tony Abbott's measures have stemmed the flow of boats, there are still boats arriving in Australia. Imagine if risking your life by floating on the back of a vessel that can be hardly be called a boat was preferable to staying in your own country?

People toss around that asylum seekers shouldn't be allowed to travel to our country because it's illegal. Actually, it is legal. I have heard of "the right of asylum" before however I never had properly looked into it before. Today, I did. It's an "ancient juridical concept", under which a person prosecuted in their home country may be protected by another foreign country. Therefore, people who are traveling to Australia "illegally" on boats, due to fears of racial or religious prosecution in their home country, are actually within their rights to do so (once again, I know people can seek asylum in alternative ways).

When people speak about how we shouldn't do something, e.g. travel or wear a certain brand because people who are less fortunate than us cannot, I don't believe this is correct. We have been given a fantastic opportunity in life, whether that is to afford education, travel, shopping or having a car, and I think we should take advantage of the opportunities that are offered to us and enjoy them. We have worked hard to be able to afford these things, as so I think we should embrace them and appreciate them. Feeling bad about situations in other countries will only make you upset - it's not going to change anything. Instead, I want to embrace my opportunities for me, but also use them to help other people.

However, we have been born into a country where you are rewarded if you work hard. I understand that Australia isn't perfect - we have homeless people, we have our own issues, however in comparison to so many other countries in the world, we are so lucky. We have been born into a country where education at a high school level is a right, and where higher education loans are low interest and simple to obtain. I am fortunate that, as a girl, I was born into a country where education is a real possibility and opportunity for me; where me receiving an education and going to university is encouraged on the same level as for my male counterparts. We have been put into a position that has allowed us to be rewarded for our hard work, and therefore, be able to afford things like those mentioned above, as well as being able to live a life free from punishment due to our races or religions. 

On a side note, the fact that the Australian government is considering sending refugees to Cambodia makes me feel a little sick. After spending time there during the summer, I came to realise how although it is a beautiful country, it is also very impoverished, and the government is not completely honest with its people. The only people who will be benefiting from asylum seekers originally heading to Australia being sent to Cambodia instead are those in power in Cambodia. It is such a vulnerable nation that is still recovering from its own civil war, and their people should be the first priority. On the other hand, refugees being sent to Cambodia may find themselves in a similar, if not worse, living situation than what they had to deal with in their own country.  

We don't realise how lucky we are in Australia.

Have a little bit of empathy for people who aren't as fortunate as you are. There is nothing but chance allowing you to live the life that you lead - nothing but chance putting you into a position where hard work is rewarded (and unfortunately, not so hard work is also rewarded). So yes, work hard, and appreciate your earnings - but remember, you are only getting what you receive because of a little stroke of luck. I'm not proposing that we allow everyone in the whole world to live in Australia purely because they arrived here by boat. Please, don't take what I'm saying and make me sound ridiculous and extreme. I'm proposing that we find a little bit of empathy, and be a little bit more understanding of other people's situations throughout the world, because it was only luck that allows us to live the lives we lead - considering almost half the world's population lives on less than $2.50 a day, I feel super fortunate to be in my position. Be appreciative, but also be humble. Turn back the boats...or should we?

No comments:

Post a Comment