Friday, April 18, 2014

Dear Autumn: A Letter from a Winter Worshipper and Summer Shunner

Photo source: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/142074563217312478/

I've had enough. I'm sick of you trying to change yourself. Autumn, it's time to just be you.

Look, the 35 degree days were cute at the start. It was kind of nice being able to enjoy summer even as March drew to a close - I could swim more, get a tan (well, sort of) and enjoy my summer clothes a little bit longer. I enjoyed the mornings being warm, I enjoyed the middle of the day being warm, I enjoyed the evenings being warm.

But now I'm sick of warm. I've done the jeans shopping (is it not the most traumatic experience ever?), had Ed Sheeran's 'Autumn Leaves' on repeat, and started moving my boots from the top of my wardrobe down to where I can reach them every day. Look around Australia: Sydney is having RAIN (wow, what's that?) and 20 degree days, Melbourne is around the same, and even sunny Brisbane is delivering on rain (and a cyclone, but we'll ignore that). Autumn, get your act together. I want to wear my new boots and jeans and a nice cosy jumper. Paleness can become more socially acceptable and  Instead of my Instagram feed being filled with sun and swimming, it can be filled with soup and scarves.

But really? We need a whole lotta rain. And with the rest of the week staying at around 30 degrees every day, it doesn't look like it's coming soon. I wouldn't mind a little cold weather, even with some sun still out. Just under 24 degrees Celsius (24 and up, in my opinion, is shorts weather), maybe a cloud or too, just one storm, a few freezing days…and then you can have summer back.

Let's be honest, when it gets to the end of winter, I'll be dying for a little sun and a few days where a t shirt and shorts is appropriate clothing for the weather. But for now? I'd like a little rain and a lot of cold.

Even if it's only so I can justify a pair of Hunter wellington boots…


1 comment: