Saturday, June 14, 2014

Music Snobbery - a lighthearted jab at the music snobs of the world



I have been told several times, while I have had my phone plugged into my car and I'm blasting my beats, that my music taste sucks. And this bothers me.

CONFESSION TIME: I listen to One Direction. I went through a One Direction crush phase. I went to the One Direction concert. I have lots of their songs. I also love Taylor Swift (seen her live, such a fan). I was a huge Jonas Brothers fan back in the day. Musicals take up a LOT of space in my iTunes library. ED SHEERAN MAKES ME HAPPY. AND I AM NOT ASHAMED!

Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. I am so sick of being told my music taste is "crap", "bad", "lame", "boring". No. My music taste is just not your music taste. That doesn't make it any worse, it just makes it different.

Why do people listen to music in the first place? I listen to music because I like the emotions that certain songs and sounds evoke. I like how I can feel happy when I listen to "Love Story" by Taylor Swift, nostalgic when I hear "Home" by Michael Buble, and how I feel like dancing when I hear "No Light" by Florence and the Machine. I listen to the music I listen to because I enjoy it, and because it makes me happy.

That's why I'm so over music snobbery. You listen to music that no one else has heard of? Good for you. You listen to heavy metal? Not my cup of tea, but I'm glad you enjoy it. You listen to music that has no lyrics, only sounds? I'm happy for you. You embrace what you like, and I'll embrace what I like. If you're interested in what I've been listening to as of late, you can read some of my current favourites here, here and here.

I would prefer to be told that someone doesn't like my music, rather than they think I listen to crap music. You might not like what I listen to, however I do and that's why it's allowed to take up space in my iTunes library. It's not about me having amazing taste, or you having a superior taste - it's about us having different tastes, and that's what makes the world interesting.

One of my friends is really into Christian music - good for her! She likes it (and not going to lie, some of those tunes are kind of catchy). Another one is into Arctic Monkeys and Temper Trap - but that's never stopped her from having a little singalong to Taylor Swift.

I read a quote awhile ago and it really stuck with me. "You can decide what you do, but you cannot decide what you like". And that is so true. I can decide to listen to all of the Triple J in the world, but that's not going to make me as happy as plugging in my music and listening to the likes of Ed Sheeran, The Seals, Demi Lovato, or Taylor Swift. I can't suddenly make myself love music that I previously haven't enjoyed before. There's nothing I can do about that… but there's nothing I want to either.

If you criticise my music choice because "it sucks", "it's bad", "you have no taste", you have about a 0% chance of changing my opinion about anything you listen to. I'm willing to listen to music outside my genre - a trip to a folk festival opened my eyes (ears?) up to several artists that are now in my Top 25 playlist, and listening to recommendations from friends has also given me a lot of songs that I really like. I like finding new artists and songs that I enjoy - I might not enjoy everything that is recommended to me, but hey, I'll try my best!

However, you having a go at what I listen to isn't going to make me any more receptive to your music. To the music snobs reading this - have you ever criticised someone's choice, then given them your iPod full of "superior" music choices, and had them look at you, with enlightened eyes, and heard them whisper - "this is the way"? I doubt it.

So next time you're looking at someone's music, don't brush it off with a "your music taste sucks" or a "what is this crap?" (actual quotes from people who have flicked through my music - yes, it is filled with a lot of pop. No, I am not ashamed!). Instead, share a mild "this isn't my stuff", or better yet - have a listen, and maybe, like I have been before, you'll be surprised.

And by the way, whoever is driving ALWAYS has shotgun over the sound. Otherwise, you can take the bus - and listen to your "superior" music through your headphones. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment